An exciting new opportunity to get involved in the Paralympic sport of Goalball in Staffordshire has arisen. Goalball is a fast developing sport and help is needed in your local club.
What is Goalball
- A Paralympic sport specifically designed for blind and partially sighted players.
- It’s a 3 a-side sport and the object of the game is the throw the ball along the ground into the other team’s goal (which is 9m wide).
- All players wear eyeshades which makes the sport fully inclusive as sighted players can play too and the ball has a bell in it so players use their hearing to track the ball.
- Assist the delivery of coaching.
- Help set up drills and activities.
- Lead on element of the training sessions, ie Warm up, skill related practices.
- Help the club at tournaments throughout the season.
- Approximate time commitment: Ongoing throughout the year – hours to be agreed (demonstrating a commitment to the club could result in a discounted price of a Goalball Leaders Award qualification).
Benefits of volunteering
- To learn new and develop existing skills through hands on experience.
- The ability to explore a new sport whilst supporting and motivating disabled people in accessing sport and physical activity.
- Supporting your local community – putting something back into your community, personal satisfaction knowing you have helped others.
- A brilliant CV booster (73% of employers would employ a candidate with volunteer experience over one without).
If you would like further information or wish to apply for this opportunity, please contact Becky Ashworth from Goalball UK: